Anastasia Salter is an Assistant Professor of Digital Media at the University of Central Florida. Her books include Toxic Geek Masculinity in Media (with Bridget Blodgett, Palgrave Macmillan 2017); Jane Jensen: Gabriel Knight, Adventure Games, Hidden Objects (Bloomsbury, 2017); What is Your Quest? From Adventure Games to Interactive Books (University of Iowa Press, 2014); and Flash: Building the Interactive Web (with John Murray, MIT Press, 2014). She was part of the editorial team for the Electronic Literature Collection Volume 3. She writes for ProfHacker, a blog on technology and pedagogy hosted by the Chronicle of Higher Education, and is a board member of the Electronic Literature Organization and co-chair of the Modern Language Association Committee on the Status of Women in the Profession. Her current work on digital culture focuses on platforms for marginalized voices.
- digital narrative
- electronic literature
- game studies
- social media
- digital humanities
- gender & marginalized voices in technology
- Salter, A., & Blodgett, B. (2017). Toxic Geek Masculinity in Media: Sexism, Trolling, and Identity Policing. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Salter, A. (2017). Jane Jensen: Gabriel Knight, Adventure Games, Hidden Objects. Bloomsbury Academic Press.
- Salter, A. (November 2014). What is Your Quest? From Adventure Games to Interactive Books. University of Iowa Press.
- Salter, A. and Murray, J. (September 2014). Flash: Building the Interactive Web. Platform Studies Series, MIT Press.
- Boluk, S.; Flores, L.; Garbe, J.; Salter, A. (2016). The Electronic Literature Collection Volume 3. The Electronic Literature Organization. (Collection features over 100 works of electronic literature from around the world, editors listed alphabetically.)
- Forthcoming Salter, A.; Blodgett, B. (Anticipated 2018). “‘Every Word You Just Said is Wrong’: Online Rage and Inclusivity in Disney Franchise Fandom.” In Selected Papers of Internet Research 17. Association of Internet Research. (Peer Reviewed)
- Salter, A.; Blodgett, B.; Sullivan, A. (2018). “‘Just Because It’s Gay’: Transgressive Design in Queer Coming of Age Visual Novels.” In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games. ACM. <https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3235765>
- Salter, A.; Whitson, R.; Helms, J. (2018). “Making comics as scholarship: A reflection on the process behind DHQ 9.4.” Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy 23(1).
- Sullivan, A; Salter, A.; Smith, G. (2018). “Games Crafters Play.” In Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on the Foundations of Digital Games. ACM. (Peer reviewed) <https://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3235765>
- Blodgett, B.; Salter, A. (2018). “Ghostbusters is For Boys: Understanding Geek Masculinity’s Role in the Alt-right.” Communication Culture & Critique, 11(1), 133-146.
- Salter, A.(2017). “Taking Over the World, Again? Examining Procedural Remakes of Adventure Games.” Well Played Volume 6. No. 3. <http://press.etc.cmu.edu/index.php/product/well-played-vol-6-no-3/>
- Salter, A. (2017). “Code before Content? Brogrammer Culture in Games and Electronic Literature.” Hyperhiz: New Media Cultures 17. <http://hyperrhiz.io/hyperrhiz17/>.
- Watson, K. and Salter, A. (2016). “Playing Art Historian: Teaching 20th Century Art through Alternate Reality Gaming.” International Journal for the Scholarship of Technology Enhanced Learning 1.1.
- Salter, A. (2015). “Alice in Dataland 2.0.” Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy, 20(1).
- Salter, A. (2015). “Learning through Making: Notes on Teaching Interactive Narrative.” Syllabus Journal, 4.1.
- Forthcoming Blodgett, B.; Salter, A. (December 2019, in press). “What Was Missing: Children’s Queerbaiting and Homoromantic Exclusion in Adventure Time and Steven Universe.” Queerbaiting and Fandom. Edited by Joseph Brennan. The University of Iowa Press
- Forthcoming Salter, A. (November 2019, in press). “Collaborative Voices: Kate Pullinger’s Digital Authorial Voice.” The Digital Imaginary. Edited by Roderick Coover. Bloomsbury Press. (Editor reviewed)
- Forthcoming Salter, A. (2019, in press). “Dead Girl with the Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo: Supernatural and the Disposable Other.” Death in Supernatural: Critical Essays. Edited by Amanda Taylor and Susan Nylander. McFarland Press. (Peer reviewed)
- Salter, A. (2019). “King’s Quest: Narrative” Invited chapter for How to Play Video Games. Edited by Matt Payne and Nina Huntemann, under contract with New York University Press. Page 29-35.
- Forthcoming Salter, A. and Blodgett B. (2019). “Playing the Humanities: Feminist Game Studies and Public Discourse.” Bodies of Information: Intersectional Feminism and Digital Humanities. Edited by Elizabeth Losh and Jacqueline Wernimont. University of Minnesota Press.
- Blodgett, B. and Salter, A. (2018). “The Doctors Who Waited: The Lonely Woman Scientist Trope in Geek TV.” Women in STEM on Television. Edited by Ashley Carlson. McFarland Press.
- Salter, A. (2018). “Building Interactive Stories.” In The Routledge Companion to Media Studies and Digital Humanities. Edited by Jentery Sayers. Routledge Press.
- Salter, A. (2016). “Comics and Art.” In The Routledge Companion to Comics. Edited by Frank Bramlett, Roy Cook, and Aaron Meskin. Routledge Press, June.
- Salter, A. (2016). “Educational Games.” In Debugging Game History: A Critical Lexicon. Edited by Raiford Guins and Henry Lowood. MIT Press.
- Salter, A. (2014). “Writing Under Constraint” and “Mobile Entertainment.” In The Johns Hopkins Guide to Digital Humanities. Co-editors: Lori Emerson, Marie-Laure Ryan, Benjamin Robertson. Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Salter, A. (2013). “Hacking the Dissertation.” In Hacking the Academy, edited by D. Cohen and T. Scheinfeldt. University of Michigan Press.
- Salter, A. (2011). “Closed Minds: Tamora Pierce’s Teenagers and the Problem of Desire.” Supernatural Youth. Ed. J. Battis. Lexington Press.
- Burelle, M.; Kocurek, C.; Perez, A.; Reilly, M.; Salter, A.; Smith, G.; Vadakumchery, T. (2018). “The Spider’s Web: Alternate Reality Game” Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology, Issue 13. (Peer-reviewed). <https://adanewmedia.org/2018/05/issue13-kuchera/>
- Salter, A.; Blodgett, B. (2017). “Alt-Right: Ctrl+A; Del.” Journal of Persona Studies 3.1. (Peer Reviewed) < https://ojs.deakin.edu.au/index.php/ps/article/view/656>
- Salter, A.; Blodgett, B. (2017). “This is Fine: #ResistJam and the 2016 Election in Gaming.” In Foundations of Games 2017, Hyannis, MA, August 14-17. ACM.
- Sullivan, A.; Salter, A. (2017). “Towards a Narrative Taxonomy of Physical Games.” In Foundations of Games 2017, Hyannis, MA, August 14-17. ACM.
- Salter, A. (2016) “Playing at empathy: Representing and experiencing emotional growth through Twine games.” Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Serious Games and Applications for Health (SeGAH), Orlando, Florida.
- Kourova, A., Salter, A., Pidberejna, I., & McDaniel, R. (2016). “From Orlando to Russia: Cross-cultural communication through gamemaking.” In Proceedings of the 34th Annual International Conference on the Design of Communication. New York: Association for Computing Machinery. Arlington, Virginia.
- Watson, K. and Salter, A. (2016). “Secret Societies of the Avant-garde: Designing a Game for Art History.” Games Learning Society 11 Proceedings, ETC Press, 440-443.
UCF Luminary Award, 2017