Practitioner Award: Excellence in Professional Practice Recipient
A 35-year veteran of the strategic communications industry, Gwen Griffin is the founder and Chief Executive Officer of Griffin Communications Group. Since opening the firm’s doors in 1997, she has led the Griffin team in developing and executing strategic communications campaigns and programs for both consumer and trade audiences. As CEO, Griffin’s focus is on strategic planning for the agency and leading the business development charge.
A powerhouse with an undeniable reputation in the industry, major global brands and industry leaders have trusted their communications to Griffin and her team – including NASA, Coalition for Deep Space Exploration, Blue Origin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Aerojet Rocketdyne, NASA-Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, Conrad Foundation, Aldrin Family Foundation, Association of Space Explorers, Million Air, Universal Pictures, Paramount Pictures, LEGO, Sprint, Bodycote and CVR Energy.
Earlier in her career, Griffin held positions such as Director of Marketing for NASA-Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex; Public Relations/Promotions Manager for Space Center Houston, NASA’s visitor center at the Johnson Space Center; and Area Marketing Manager for Southwest Airlines. She also worked for several other agencies, including Edelman Worldwide and DPW Public Relations.
Throughout her 35+ year career, Griffin has guided numerous clients to deal with unique crisis communications and issues management challenges coordinating media relations, conducting senior executive media training, performing company-wide crisis drills and developing/executing crisis communications plans.
Noted Crisis Experience
- Space Shuttle Columbia tragedy, 2003
- Plane crash at Teterboro airport for Million Air Holdings, 2005
- Labor management issues for PM Realty Group, 2005
- CVR Energy massive oil spill in Coffeyville, KS due to 100-year flood event, 2007
- Hurricane Ike’s impact along Texas Gulf Coast for Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership, 2009
- CVR Energy explosion at Wynnewood, OK refinery (2012); Fire at Coffeyville, KS refinery (2014)
- Arkema plant explosion (due to flooding from Hurricane Harvey), 2017
- Founded Griffin Communications Group in 1997
- Director of Marketing & Public Relations for NASA-Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
- Public Relations/Promotions Manager for Space Center Houston
- Area Marketing Manager for Southwest Airlines
- Senior positions at agencies including Edelman Worldwide and DPW Public Relations
- Marketing Communications for McDonnell Douglas Astronautics Company