US Secretary of State John Kerry announced Sunday that the country will be accepting more worldwide migrants in over the next two years. The announcement is a clear response to the number of Syrian refugees that are fleeing their country but it is not limited to them only. The White House had already recently announced that the United States would take in an additional 10,000 Syrian refugees over the next year. Now, the US will accept 85,000 refugees from the world in 2016 and increase that number to 100,000 in 2017.
When asked why the government had not allowed for more refugees to be let in, Kerry replied saying “We’re doing what we know we can manage immediately,” he said, adding that the U.S. cannot take shortcuts on security checks.
This issue brings attention to the possibility of terrorist organizations using the refugee crisis to infiltrate the United States.
“The administration has essentially given the American people a ‘trust me.’ That isn’t good enough,” says the head lawmakers of the congressional judiciary committees.
Further speculation has risen in regards to the fact that the Obama administration does not require congressional approval but Kerry has stated that congress would have to appropriate money to pay for the additional effort. This concerns Republicans.
There is much fear that has been expressed but the number of refugees being excepted pales in comparison to the amount Germany is letting in to their country. Same goes for the allowing of 800,000 refugees after the Vietnam War.
Kerry has stated that they believe the migrant crisis must ultimately be solved by replacing President Bashar Assad. Until then the government officials will be working hard to ensure the safety of the American people whilst providing security to the refugees.